B/P PTO - General Meeting Notes- 10.8.15
Published: October 13, 2015
Bryant/Pattengill PTO- General PTO Meeting Minutes
October 8, 2015 • 6:30 pm •Bryant Elementary School
Kathy Brady, Co-President
Lisa Treat, Co-President
Roberta Heyward, Bryant Principal Melita Alston, Pattengill Principal
Jennifer Nguyen, VP Pattengill
Ariel Hurwitz-Greene, Secretary
Carmen Andrianopoulos, Treasurer
Kelly Pomorski, PTO Project
Marc Mojica, Technology Director
Introductions of PTO Board members/Staff representatives:
- Co- President K. Brady introduced the PTO Board and explained what PTO stands for
- The audience introduced themselves and what grade their child is in
- Brief overview of the agenda
- Heyward- Bryant Update
- New Bryant Playground Structure: The new playground structure has been approved by the Board of Education. The structure will include swings, sitting area, and climbing area, and will be located near Mrs. Miller’s room. The structure is planned to be functioning by next month. If the weather doesn’t cooperate, the walking path will be constructed in the spring. It was confirmed that any class may use the new playground structure, it is the teacher’s choice during recess.
- Bus Transportation: Late Bus- specifically Bus 135: Parents should have received a letter regarding changes to the route. If parents have concerns, please contact the principal.
- Traffic Update/Road Closing: A portion of Ellsworth Rd. will be closed until next Tuesday.
- Bryant/Pattengill family who lost a family member had the funeral today. Thank you to everyone who donated to the family’s “Go Fund Me” account to cover funeral expenses.
- Alston- Pattengill Update
- Project Lead The Way: Mrs. Alston has visited the classrooms and enjoys watching the students work with computers, creating and working with Robotics.
- Bullying Prevention Month: During the week of Oct 19-23, School Social Worker Ms. Elster will discuss cyberbullying with each classroom. A speaker from Mich. Depart. of Civil Rights will also present to students.
- New ELL teacher: We welcome Marla Metler as the new B/P English Language Learners teacher. More information on Ms. Metler will be forthcoming in the Thursday Notes.
2015-2016 PTO Budget Discussion & Voting, Presented by Treasurer Carmen Andrianopoulos:
- Treasurer Carmen A. reviewed the purpose of the PTO, explained actual versus budgeted income and expenses, and how PTO spending enhances our students’ educational experience.
- Breakdown of field trip budgets for each school: Technically $30/student is allotted for field trips, but that money is not always spent in full. Some organizations provide a discount to our schools, or some teachers (or grade cohort) do not utilize their entire field trip budget.
- Teacher Support: Teachers are encouraged to apply for mini grants and submit their proposals to their principal. Each B/P teacher (new and returning) also receives some support funds in the beginning of each new school year, to help with back-to-school costs: $100 for each returning teacher, and $250 for each teacher new to B/P.
- There are three major fundraisers for the schools each year:
- PTO Dues
- Read- A- Thon
- Ice Cream Social
- Bob Treat, PTO Fundraising Coordinator, secured a grant from Lucky’s Market in the amount of $4,700, and an additional $1,100 was contributed by PTO Thrift Shop last year.
- Some concerns:
- PTO Dues are down by $1,000 compared to last year at this time.
- No Fall fundraiser this year.
A motion was made to approve the proposed 2015-16 PTO Budget, and was seconded. The vote passed unanimously.
Community Action Network (CAN): After-School Programs
Two representatives from CAN shared their services for Bryant students, who receive free and reduced lunch:
- CAN helps families with housing, food distribution, community garden, etc.
- After-school program at Bryant: Meet with students two days a week, focusing on building literacy, homework, life discussions, and school attendance. Students who participate typically have a 97% grad rate.
Elizabeth Elster, Bryant/Pattengill Social Worker: Helping Your Child Ease Back Into School
Ms. Elster shared some tips and handouts with meeting attendees: How to make sure your child has a smooth transition back to school, question suggestions on how to obtain more information out of your child about their school day, how parents can get involved at the schools, and the do’s and don’ts of how parents can help a child with separation anxiety.
Questions, Comments, and Upcoming Events:
- Thank you to the B/P community who went to Mi Compadre for B/P Restaurant Night!
- Dates for Clothing Drive TBA- one in November, one in Spring
- The fresh fruit and vegetable cart is open to all students at lunch time, not just hot lunch buyers.
- Oct 16 : Family Movie Night- Bryant, 5:30pm-8pm
- Oct 21: Pizza with the Principals- 6-7pm- Hosted by Andrianopoulos Family - 3704 Knollwood Circle, Ann Arbor, Mi 48108
- Oct 23: Box Tops due
Next PTO General Meeting: Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 7:30-8:30pm- Pattengill
- Nov 2: Teacher Reporting Day- NO SCHOOL
- Nov 3: Election Day- NO SCHOOL
- Nov 5: Pattengill Picture Retake and Candids
- Nov 11-13: 5th Grade Camp
- Nov 12: Bryant Picture Retake and Candids
- Nov 12: PTO Executive Board Meeting- Pattengill -6-7:30pm
- Nov 23: Report Cards Go Home
- Nov 25-27: Thanksgiving Break: NO SCHOOL
Meeting Adjourned at 7:35pm.